This recipe is taken from the 2003 Milk Calendar. A delicious and elegant soup that can be a simple first course or the star performer for a light lunch.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 leeks white and light green part only or onions chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 1 pkg (10 oz/300 g) fresh spinach trimmed
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Brie Croutons (optional)
- 6 to 8 slices baguette
- 2 oz (60 g) Canadian Brie cut into thin slices
In large pot, melt butter over medium heat; cook leeks, celery, carrots and nutmeg, stirring, for about 10 min or until soft. Stir in potatoes and stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 25 min or until potatoes are tender. Stir in spinach just until wilted.
Transfer to blender in batches and puree until smooth. Return to pot and stir in cream. Heat over low heat just until steaming. Stir in chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toast baguette slices lightly under broiler. Top each slice with a piece of Brie; return to broiler for about 2 min or until cheese is melted and bubbling. Ladle hot soup into bowls and top with Brie Crouton.
For the AdventurousFor a zippier flavour, add 1 cup (250 mL) chopped watercress or arugula with spinach.
Use Canadian blue cheese instead of Brie on croutons.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 95 mg|
|Vitamin A:||76 %|
|Vitamin B6:||18 %|