This recipe is taken from the 1975 Milk Calendar. This is the Deep Dish Pork Pie recipe.
- Prep: 20 min - 25 min
- Cooking: 30 min - 40 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cubed potatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) 1 container Basic Pork Mixture thawed (see recipe)
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- Sufficient pastry for a single crust pie
- 1 egg yolk
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
Cook carrots and potatoes in a small amount of boiling salted water; drain. Combine flour, salt, thyme, marjoram and milk. Stir into Basic Pork Mixture.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until smoothly thickened and mixture comes to a boil. Add carrots, potatoes and peas. Spoon into a 5-cup shallow casserole or baking dish.
Roll out pastry into a circle 1 inch (3 cm) larger than casserole surface. Fit pastry over meat mixture; flute edges. Beat egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water. Brush over pastry. Make several slits in crust and bake in preheated over 30 to 40 minutes or until pastry is brown and pie heated through.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||15 % / 168 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||80 %|