This recipe is taken from the 1988 Milk Calendar. This is the Double Baked Potatoes recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 8 oz (240 g) bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh chives or green onions chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter melted
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Bake potatoes until tender 45 to 60 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a skillet. Sauté onions and garlic until tender but not brown. Stir in milk. Heat. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Cut off the top third of the potatoes. Scoop out potatoes leaving 1/4 inch (5 mm) shell. Beat potatoes until smooth. Mix in milk mixture. Stir in bacon, Cheddar cheese and chives. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Spoon or pipe mashed potatoes back into potato skins. Brush tops with melted butter.
Before serving, bake in a preheated 400 °F (200 °C) oven for 15 to 20 min until heated thoroughly.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||26 % / 281 mg|
|Vitamin C:||53 %|
|Vitamin B6:||44 %|