This is the Double-Cheese Quiche Bundle recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 4 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) melted butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) zucchini diced
- 1 Italian tomato seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian Feta diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian Mozzarella grated
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Milk or 10 % cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) basil pesto
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 325 °F (160 °C).
Brush the four sheets of phyllo pastry with melted butter and place them one over the other. Cut into two, lengthwise and widthwise, to obtain four equal pieces. Place the pastry squares into a muffin tin with large cups or in large greased ramekins, making sure the bottom and sides are covered.
In a frying pan, use the remaining butter to brown the mushrooms, onions and zucchini over medium heat. Divide the vegetables and cheese among the phyllo-covered moulds.
Beat the eggs with the milk and add the pesto. Pepper as needed. Pour equal quantities of the egg mixture into the moulds. Close the bundles by pinching the tops to create a pouch and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
Note: For golden pastry with a nice sheen, brush the tops with melted butter before baking. The quiches can be prepared in advance, removed from the moulds (important) and reheated in the oven at 325 °F (160 °C). They freeze very nicely.
Suggestion :You can make bite-sized versions of these quiches by using a mini-muffin tin. Simply cut the phyllo pastry into 12 equal portions and follow the same method described above. Bear in mind the cooking time will be shorter by 10 to 15 minutes.
Canadian-Swiss, Canadian Swiss, Emmental, Provolone, Cheddar, etc.