“This was inspired by the great Canadian outdoor experience: you taste the forest in the wild mushrooms, and the campfire in the Sylvan Star Smoked Gouda.” - Chef David Bohati
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Gouda mornay sauce
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) white truffle oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) 2% milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated Sylvan Star Smoked Mild Gouda
- 1 lb (450 g) farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- Mushroom ragout
- 8 cloves garlic confit*
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) garlic confit oil*
- 2 shallots, julienned
- 5 oz (150 g) each fresh oyster and shimeji mushrooms
- 3 oz (90 g) each fresh morel and chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry red wine
- 1 sprig thyme, stemmed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz (170 g) fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) each chives and flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Truffle oil
Gouda mornay sauce:
In a medium saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat; sauté onion 3 minutes or until translucent. Sprinkle with flour; sauté 3 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in milk and lemon juice; whisk until smooth. Reduce heat to low, season with salt and nutmeg; simmer 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in Gouda until melted. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat garlic and garlic oil on high heat, add shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms, sauté until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add wine, cook, stirring and scraping up any bits, for 2 minutes or until reduced. Stir in thyme leaves and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in arugula until slightly wilted.
To serve, add pasta to Gouda mornay sauce; toss to coat. Divide pasta among shallow serving bowls and top with mushroom ragout. Sprinkle with chives and parsley; drizzle with truffle oil.
: 1. To make garlic confit and garlic confit oil: in a small saucepan, on low heat, simmer peeled garlic cloves in olive oil to cover until garlic is tender, about 40 minutes. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.
2. Use any combination of wild mushrooms available to equal total amount of 1 lb (450 g).
Cheese alternative: Canadian Smoked Mild Gouda.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving