A creamy toss of penne, sausage and Canadian Parmesan delivers gooey comfort-food vibes in under an hour.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cooking: 35 minutes
- Total: 55 minutes
- 1 pkg (18 oz/500 g) penne pasta
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) Canadian butter, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh Italian sausages (hot or mild), casings removed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) Canadian half-and-half (10%) cream
- ¾ cup (175 mL) freshly grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Cook penne according to package directions. Drain and toss with 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter.
In large skillet set over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft and translucent.
Add sausages; cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up sausage with spoon, for 5 to 8 minutes or until starting to brown. Add Italian seasoning and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Add cream and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until blended.
Stir in Parmesan, salt and pepper. Remove from heat; add penne and stir to coat. Garnish with parsley.
For a bolder flavour, swipe the Canadian Parmesan for a smoked Canadian cheese, such as smoked Gouda.