This recipe is taken from the 2004 Milk Calendar. Eggs for dinner - there's nothing easier or more satisfying
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 1 medium potato
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil or dried tarragon or 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Aged Cheddar or Canadian Swiss cheese
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Lightly butter or spray 9-inch (23 cm) glass pie plate.
Peel and shred potato on cheese grater. Place in sieve or colander and squeeze out excess liquid. Sprinkle in bottom of pie plate.
In bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over potato. Sprinkle with mushrooms, red pepper and cheese. Bake for about 30 min or until puffed, golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
Use different vegetables such as asparagus or diced zucchini as you wish to vary the flavour.
Shred the potato just before using to prevent discolouration. Look for sliced mushrooms and chopped sweet peppers in the produce section to speed up preparations.
For the Adventurous: Add 1 cup (250 mL) salmon and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon rind.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||30 % / 329 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||60 %|
|Vitamin C:||88 %|
|Vitamin A:||35 %|