This recipe is taken from the 2005 Milk Calendar. Homemade 'convenience food' with the goodness of milk and fresh vegetables. Use the pizza ingredients listed or choose your favourites.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) green bell pepper or red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thin strips pepperoni or ham
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) shredded Canadian mozzarella
- 1 cup (250 mL) well-drained canned diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large oblong buns (panini, mini sub, ciabatta)
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
In skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook onion, garlic, mushrooms, basil and oregano, stirring, for 5 min or until mushrooms start to brown.
Whisk flour into milk; gradually stir into skillet. Add green pepper and pepperoni; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring, until liquid is bubbling and thickened, about 5 min. Remove from heat.
Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in tomatoes; season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, cut a slit in the side of each bun, without cutting all the way through to ends. Squeeze ends to open at slit and pull out some of the bread, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick walls on all sides. Spoon filling into pocket of each bun; place on a baking sheet.
Bake for about 5 min or until filling is hot and buns are slightly toasted.
Filling can be made ahead, cooled and stuffed into buns. Wrap each stuffed bun in plastic wrap; refrigerate for up to 1 day. Unwrap and reheat in oven as directed in recipe, increasing time to 10 to 15 min. Or microwave, wrapped in paper towel, on Medium (50 %) power for 2 to 3 min per bun.
To freeze, place wrapped buns in freezer bag; freeze for up to 2 months. Remove plastic; wrap in paper towel. Thaw in microwave on Defrost (30 %) power for 2 to 3 min. Reheat as directed above.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||27 % / 292 mg|