Dextrous young fingers will come in handy when preparing this Canadian version of a century-old Asian delight. And it's fun!
- Prep: 5 min
- Cooking: 5 min
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) wasabi paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Mild Cheddar
- Roll Fillings
- Very thin strips of red bell pepper, cucumber, thinly sliced avocado, crab surimi, blanched asparagus, green onion, alfalfa sprouts, etc.
Whisk eggs with soy sauce, ginger and wasabi paste. Set a medium, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Brush evenly with a little butter.
Pour one quarter (about 1/3 cup/80 mL) of the egg mixture into the skillet, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan evenly. Cook, uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes or until almost set. Sprinkle evenly with one quarter of the cheese. Cover and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Use a thin spatula to loosen the edges of the omelette. Slide onto a plate; cool slightly.
Arrange a row of roll fillings along one end of the omelette. Roll up pinwheel style to enclose fillings. Trim the edges and cut into rounds. Repeat with remaining butter, egg mixture, cheese and fillings to make 4 rollups. Serve warm or cold.
Recipe doubles easily. Prepared rolls make a great lunchtime option and can be reserved in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||23 % / 253 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||60 %|
|Vitamin C:||65 %|