Try this amazing falafel recipe! It’s flavourful and packs a nutritious punch. Seasoned with garlic, cumin, and parsley, it is fresh and aromatic. This is the perfect dish if you’re in the mood for a Moroccan meal.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole-wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) boiling water
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 cups (2 L) fresh greens
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated cucumber seeded and drained
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried dill
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pickled turnips
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced cucumbers
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced red peppers
- 2 pieces of whole-wheat pita bread sliced in half
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
In a small bowl, mix together whole wheat couscous and boiling water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
In a food processor, blend together chickpeas, flour, Feta cheese, green onions, zucchini, carrots, parsley, garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper and whole-wheat couscous until a coarse blend is formed.
Take ¼ cup (60 mL) of the chickpea blend in hand and squeeze it together, forming into ½ inch thick patties and setting aside. Form eight patties in total.
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pan fry the falafels for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill, salt, black pepper and lemon zest.
Toss greens in ¼ cup (60 mL) of the tzatziki sauce and divide into 4 separate bowls. Top each salad with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of pickled turnips, diced cucumbers, and diced red peppers. Finish by placing two falafels on top of each salad and serve with half a slice of pita bread.
Use leftover tzatziki sauce as a dip for cut up vegetables for a perfect snack for the workweek.
If you cannot find pickled turnips, use grated carrot instead.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||21 % / 226 mg|
|Vitamin A:||46 %|
|Vitamin C:||46 %|