This is the Fall Salad, St-Benoît-du-Lac Abbey Style recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- 7 oz (210 g) Canadian Bénédictin cheese crumbled
- 1 head oak leaf lettuce washed and spun dry
- 1 carrot peeled and julienned
- 1 small celery root grated
- 7 oz (210 g) button mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 cooked red beet julienned
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery julienned
- 2 smoked chicken fillets
- Some garlic-rubbed croutons
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) old-fashioned mustard (moutarde de Meaux)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35 % cream
- 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For an attractive presentation, arrange the lettuce leaves facing upwards in a salad bowl, so that it looks like the original shape of the head of lettuce. Sprinkle the mushrooms with a little lemon juice. Grate the celery root and cut up the beet.
Slice the chicken fillets. Place the vegetable matchsticks, onion, sliced chicken and mushrooms on the lettuce leaves. Scatter over the celery root. Then add the crumbled Canadian Bénédictin cheese and the garlic-rubbed croutons. Keep in cool place until ready to serve.
For the dressing, mix together the mustard, the 35 % cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Dress salad with dressing just before serving.
* Instead of Canadian Bénédictin cheese, try this recipe with Ciel de Charlevoix cheese.