This dough is fast to mix and easy to handle. These cookies make great ice cream sandwiches and are wonderful with fresh fruit or sherbet.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 8 min - 12 min
- Refrigeration: 30 min
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Aged Canadian Cheddar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried fruit (apricots, cranberries, raisins, etc.)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, etc.), optional
Cream together butter and sugar. Gradually beat in egg, milk and vanilla. Beat in flour, cheese, fruit and nuts until smooth. Shape dough into a roll, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Cut roll into slices 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) thick. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper, place slices on cookie sheet and bake 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on a rack. These cookies make great ice cream sandwiches and are wonderful with fresh fruit or sherbet.
Tip : Store cookies in a sealed container in a dry place.
VariationsFor fancy shaped cookies, on a floured surface roll out chilled dough 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick and use your choice of cookie cutters.
For a change of taste, replace Aged Canadian Cheddar with Aged Gouda or Miranda.
Nutritional informationPer serving