This recipe is taken from the 1996 Milk Calendar. This is the Fireside Winter Vegetable Chowder recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onions
- 5 cups (1.25 L) chopped cabbage
- 4 cloves garlic cloves
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped potato
- 2 cups (500 mL) white turnip peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) chopped fennel bulbs
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 3 cups (750 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Heat the oil in a large stock pot over high heat. Add the onions and the cabbage and cook for 2 to 3 min. Add the garlic, potato, turnip, carrots, corn, fennel and tomatoes. Cook another 2 to 3 min and then add the stock and the milk.
Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and add the herbs. Simmer for 30 min or until all vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with parsley.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||31 % / 346 mg|
|Vitamin A:||53 %|
|Vitamin C:||92 %|
|Vitamin D:||37 %|