With rich mascarpone and sweet pistachios, the texture of this food processor ice cream is decadent and dreamy.
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cooking: 15 minutes
- Freezing: 10 hours
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) unsalted shelled pistachios, divided
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) 35% whipping cream, divided
- 250 mL (1 cup) 3.25% homogenized milk
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) corn syrup
- 4 egg yolks
- 150 mL (2/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) almond extract
- 1 tub (250 g) Canadian mascarpone cheese
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In food processor, pulse 125 mL (1/2 cup) pistachios until finely ground; set aside. Coarsely chop remaining pistachios; set aside.
In saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine 250 mL (1 cup) cream, milk, finely ground pistachios and corn syrup; bring just to boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, in large heatproof bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow, foamy and thickened. Gradually whisk in 250 mL (1 cup) hot cream mixture, whisking constantly; return mixture to saucepan.
Cook, stirring constantly, with heat-safe rubber spatula or wooden spoon, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened enough to coat back of spoon and instant-read thermometer reads 170°F (77°C). Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Strain through fine-mesh strainer; let cool slightly. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
Using electric mixer, beat mascarpone until smooth. Beat in remaining cream until stiff peaks start to form. Fold in chilled custard until blended.
Pour into large resealable plastic bag; place flat in freezer. Freeze for 6 to 8 hours or until frozen completely.
Remove ice cream from freezer; let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Crumble frozen mixture into food processor; mix until smooth. Stir in half of the remaining chopped pistachios.
Scrape ice cream into airtight container. Top with remaining chopped pistachios. Freeze until firm.
- Garnish ice cream with a dollop of whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and fresh berries.
- For bright-green pistachio ice cream, add a few drops of green food colouring to the ice cream base.
Nutritional informationPer serving