This recipe is taken from the 2010 Milk Calendar. With plenty of texture, satisfying cheese and tuna mixed with vegetables and a creamy, yet light dressing, this salad makes a nice change from traditional dinner fare. Serve on a bed of greens or on toasted whole grain bread for an open-faced sandwich.
- Prep: 10 min - 15 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/2 English cucumber sliced thick
- 2 cups (500 mL) grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cubed Canadian Mozzarella cheese (about 6 oz/175 g)
- 12 oz (340 g) chunk tuna (2 cans) drained
- Salad greens or whole grain toast (or a combination)
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a large bowl, combine, yogurt, mayonnaise, basil and pepper. Add cucumber, tomatoes, yellow bell pepper and Mozzarella and toss to coat.
Using a fork, gently stir in tuna, breaking chunks slightly but leaving tuna in bite-size pieces. Serve on greens or place greens on toast and spoon salad on top.
Double the recipe to make extra for a packed lunch, just leave the tomatoes out, cover and refrigerate the salad for up to 1 day. Add the tomatoes just before serving.
For the Adventurous: Use Canadian mini or pearl Bocconcini; add 1/2 cup (125 mL) drained marinated olives and 2 tbsp (30 mL) drained pickled hot peppers.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||19 % / 206 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||122 %|
|Vitamin C:||60 %|