This is the Gingerbread Snowflakes with Perron 1-Year Cheddar recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- Refrigeration: 1 h
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (310 mL) unbleached flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 4 oz (120 g) Perron 1-Year Cheddar shredded
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) hot water
- Small candies for decorating if desired
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter with brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth, about 3–4 minutes.
In another bowl, mix flours with spices and Cheddar. Gradually add this mixture alternately with milk to the large bowl. Form dough into a ball, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
On a floured work surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch (1/2 cm) thickness and cut out cookies using a cookie cutter with a snowflake or other motif.
Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10–12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on rack.
Meanwhile, mix icing sugar with hot water.
Decorate cookies with icing and small candies, or simply sprinkle with sugar.
Store cookies in a tightly sealed container, away from moisture.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Gouda, Mild Cheddar.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||5 % / 50 mg|