“These exotic ethnic flavours blend beautifully with the Camembert. Mustard seed and broccoli add layered flavour, and it’s all bathed in a traditional butter chicken sauce.” - Bal Arneson
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min - 20 min
- Bottom layer
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fennel seeds
- 2 cups (500 mL) broccoli finely chopped
- Top layer
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grape seed oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh garlic minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh ginger chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground coriander
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red chili flakes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mustard seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked macaroni
- 10 oz (285 g) Poplar Grove Okanagan Double Cream Camembert thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Panko bread crumbs
In a medium skillet, heat oil and fennel seeds on medium-high heat for 5 seconds. Add broccoli; sauté for 3–4 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Spread mixture in an 8-cup (2 L) shallow baking dish; set aside.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger; sauté for 4 minutes or until golden. Add tomato paste, fenugreek, brown sugar, spices, salt and pepper; sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in cream; reduce heat and cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Turn heat off; stir in macaroni.
Spoon macaroni mixture on top of broccoli. Layer Camembert on top; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Broil for 4–5 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Cheese alternative: Canadian Double Cream Camembert.