This is the Gourmet cheese dogs recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 6 honey and garlic or European sausages
- 2 ficelles (thin baguettes) or 6 buns
- 7 oz (200 g) Canadian Mild Cheddar sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh herbs of your choice: basil, dill, cilantro or chives chopped
- Corn relish
- 2 cups (500 mL) corn kernels
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 red or green pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) white vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pickling spice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
In a saucepan, mix corn relish ingredients together, except the cornstarch.
Bring to a boil and let simmer on medium-high heat for 10 min. Mix cornstarch in ¼ cup (60 mL) water. Stir into the saucepan and let mixture thicken. Remove from heat and let cool.
To cook sausages, preheat grill to medium heat or oven to 425°F (220°C) and cook for 10–15 min, or until well done.
If using ficelles, slice each lengthwise, open flat and top with cheese slices. Place on the grill or oven rack and heat until cheese melts. Remove from grill and cut into thirds to make buns.
To serve, fill buns with sausages and garnish with corn relish and herbs of your choice.
Cheese alternative: Canadian Swiss cheese, Provolone, Mozzarella.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||30 % / 326 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||61 %|