Made with milk, your favourite vegetables and a touch of rosemary, this chowder is nutritious, invigorating and comforting. When ready to serve, sprinkle generously with Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses. Do your kids really need to know how good it is for them?
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) leek diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots diced
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) dried rosemary
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 6 cups (1.5 L) Milk heated
- 2 cups (500 mL) broccoli diced
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Canadian Monterey Jack
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian orange Cheddar shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onions, leek, celery, carrots and rosemary, until onions are translucent.
Stir in flour and sauté for 2 minutes. Add milk slowly, stirring well. Add broccoli and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes—do not allow to boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add spinach, stir until wilted and serve. Sprinkle each bowlful with cheese.
Nutritional informationPer serving