This recipe is taken from the 2015 Milk Calendar. If you’ve never had cheese on the grill, well now’s the time to start with this lunchtime salad topped with Halloumi, fresh juicy peaches and sweet cherry tomatoes.
- Prep: 15 min
- Grilling Time: 6 min
- 8 1/2 oz (250 g) Canadian Halloumi sliced into 8 pieces, about 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thick
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 6 cups (1.5 L) baby arugula or mixed baby greens
- 2 unpeeled peaches cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pitted black olives sliced in half
- 1 cup (250 mL) cherry tomatoes
Oil grill well and preheat the barbecue to medium-high. Place sliced cheese in a shallow dish just large enough to hold it. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice, 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil, garlic and 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano. Spoon over Halloumi; turn to coat.
To make dressing
, whisk remaining lemon juice with remaining oregano and oil; add salt and pepper and set aside.
In a large bowl, toss greens with peaches and olives. Skewer tomatoes for easier grilling. Place Halloumi and tomatoes on grill. Barbecue Halloumi about 2 min per side and tomatoes 2 to 4 min in total, or just until grill marks appear.
Toss salad with dressing. Divide among plates. Top each salad with grilled Halloumi and tomatoes.
To prevent Halloumi from sticking to the grill, wait until grill marks appear before flipping.
Marinate Halloumi in Caesar dressing and serve over Caesar salad in place of Parmesan.
Try chunks of watermelon, combining sweet and salty, instead of peaches
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||49 % / 534 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||53 %|
|Vitamin C:||33 %|
|Vitamin E:||32 %|