This recipe is taken from the 2015 Milk Calendar. Shrimp Caesar salad takes a traditional side salad and makes it a main meal – all done on the barbecue!
- Prep: 20 min
- Grilling Time: 5 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tsp (10 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 anchovy fillets rinsed, patted dry and minced (optional)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 2 small hearts of romaine lettuce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- of cayenne pepper
- 16 large peeled shrimp (thawed if necessary) about 3/4 lb (375 g)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) croutons
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely grated Canadian Parmesan
Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high. Dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, anchovies, Worcestershire, Dijon, salt and pepper. Salad: Slice romaine in half lengthwise, leaving core intact. In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, salt and cayenne. Lightly brush over cut side of romaine. Set romaine aside on a tray. Place shrimp in remaining lemon juice mixture. Stir to coat. Skewer shrimp for easier grilling.
Place romaine cut-side down on grill. Place shrimp on grill. Barbecue romaine, turning once, and shrimp, turning frequently, until marks appear on both and shrimp are cooked through, about 5 min.
Set each romaine half on a plate. Scatter with shrimp and croutons. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Refrigerate remaining dressing for up to 2 days.
All barbecues differ in the intensity of their heat, so watch carefully as the grilling time is quick.
Use either light or regular mayonnaise in the dressing.
Skewer the shrimps for easy grilling. Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
Skip the anchovies and add capers to the dressing, then sprinkle salad with cooked bacon bits.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||27 % / 292 mg|
|Vitamin A:||147 %|
|Vitamin B12:||76 %|