Sweet and spicy, these shrimp and pineapple tacos are topped with a refreshing avocado crema and zesty crumbled feta cheese.
- Prep: 35 minutes
- Cooking: 10 minutes
- Shrimp al Pastor:
- 1 lb (500 g) peeled, deveined, tail removed shrimp (21 to 25 count)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 single adobo pepper, diced, from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) adobo sauce from canned chipotle
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 fresh pineapple rings (each 1/2-inch/2 cm thick)
- Avocado Crema:
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lime zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and granulated sugar
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely crumbled Canadian feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) picked fresh cilantro leaves
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Shrimp al Pastor:
In bowl, toss together shrimp, pineapple juice, lime juice, oil, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Grill shrimp for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until shrimp are pink, lightly charred and just cooked through.
Grill pineapple for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until well marked and lightly caramelized. Let cool slightly; dice and set aside.
In blender, purée avocado, sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, cumin and salt until smooth.
Toss together red onion, vinegar, salt and sugar. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly pickled.
Assemble shrimp and pineapple in warm tortillas with crema, pickled onions, feta and cilantro.
Substitute the crumbled feta cheese for shredded Monterey Jack if preferred.
Nutritional informationPer serving