This recipe is taken from the 1983 Milk Calendar. This is the Harvest Chowder recipe.
- Prep: 25 min - 30 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped onion
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped vegetables (peas, zucchini, beans, carrots, potatoes, turnip, celery, etc.)
- 2 cups (500 mL) canned tomatoes drained and chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper flakes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 4 cups (1 L) Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked macaroni
- Grated Canadian Parmesan cheese to taste
In a large heavy pot sauté onions in butter until lightly colored. Add chopped vegetables and toss over heat for 2 min; add tomatoes, brothr, herbs and seasonings. Cover and simmer until vegetables are just tender.
Stir in milk and pasta; heat through.
Serve hot, garnished with garlic-flavoured croutons, and fresh, chopped parsley. Accompany with grated Canadian Parmesan cheese and fresh crusty bread.