This recipe is taken from the 1984 Milk Calendar. This is the Hearty Beef Goulash recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h 30 - 1 h 40
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil
- 2 slices of bacon chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 3 oz (90 g) whole small mushrooms
- 1 1/2 lb (675 g) stewing beef cubed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) paprika
- 1 cup (250 mL) beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat oil in a skillet; add bacon and cook until lightly browned; remove with a slotted spoon to a large pot. Add garlic, carrots, onions,bell pepper and mushrooms to skillet and stir over medium heat for 5 min; remove and add to pot.
Toss beef chunks in flour; sauté, adding more oil if necessary; add to vegetables. Mix paprika well into meat and vegetable mixture; stir in broth and bay leaf; bring slowly to a boil.
Lower heat; simmer, covered, until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add milk, mixed with remaining flour. Cook, stirring over medium heat until sauce is thickened. Season to taste.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||15 % / 164 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||129 %|
|Vitamin B6:||94 %|