This recipe is taken from the 1989 Milk Calendar. This is the Hearty Vegetable Chowder recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 2 slices bacon diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) beef broth
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried basil crushed
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen mixed vegetables or 1/2 cup (125 mL) fusilli pasta
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Canadian Parmesan cheese to taste
Cook bacon until crisp in large saucepan; drain; reserve drippings. Set bacon aside. Cook onion in bacon drippings until tender.
Stir in beef broth, spaghetti sauce, water and basil. Add vegetables and pasta. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 min or until vegetables are tender.
Combine milk and flour until smooth. Stir into chowder. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle reserved bacon and Canadian Parmesan cheese over each serving if desired.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||11 % / 119 mg|
|Vitamin A:||26 %|