Roasting vegetables brings out their natural sweetness and adding cream helps to bring out their rich texture. Prepare the dish ahead and reheat in the oven while your turkey is resting.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 55 min
- 4 lbs (2 Kg) red skinned potatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh sage or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried sage
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35 % cream
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Gratin Topping
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) shredded Canadian Asiago cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Cut each potato into eighths and place in large bowl. Add butter, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt and pepper and toss to combine. Scrape onto large parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cut tip of each head of garlic off to expose cloves and place cut side down onto baking sheet. Roast in preheated 425 °F (220 °C) oven for about 50 minutes or until potatoes are golden and tender. Meanwhile, in saucepan or microwave bring cream and parsley to a gentle boil.
Scrape potatoes into large bowl. Using paper towel, hold onto garlic head and squeeze out cloves into potatoes. Discard skin. Repeat with remaining garlic. Add cream mixture and using potato masher, mash potatoes and cream mixture a few times to create a rough mash. Scrape into 8-cup (2 L) shallow casserole dish to serve.
: In small bowl, combine cheese and parsley. Sprinkle over top of potatoes and bake in preheated 400 °F (200 °C) oven for about 5 minutes or until golden and melted.
Make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. To reheat, cover loosely with foil and bake in preheated 400 °F (200 °C) oven for about 35 minutes or until knife inserted in centre is hot.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||14 % / 110 mg|
|Vitamin C:||37 %|
|Vitamin A:||21 %|
|Vitamin B6:||21 %|