By Bailey Campbell
The reason why the American Double Burger is such a classic? The secret sauce! But not only will you find below an American Burger sauce recipe that just might be even better than the original, but you’ll see what makes this particular homemade burger recipe so good: a slice of Cheddar cheese made from 100% Canadian milk. For an experience that strays from the classic but elevates the taste, we suggest adding a second slice, or even experimenting with other types of Canadian cheese. The sky’s the limit!
If you’re usually short on time in the evening, we recommend cutting up the veggies and making the sauce in advance (you can keep it in the fridge for a couple days), so you have a quick dinner idea ready to be made into an incredibly tasty meal.
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cooking: 20 minutes
- American-Style Burger sauce
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) mayonnaise
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) ketchup
- 5 ml (1 tsp) yellow mustard
- 10 ml (2 tsp) sweet relish
- 1.25 ml (¼ tsp) apple cider vinegar
- 1.25 ml (¼ tsp) onion powder
- 1.25 ml (¼ tsp) garlic powder
- 1.25 ml (¼ tsp) paprika
- American Burger
- 680g (1.5 lb) lean ground beef, made into 8 thin patties
- 15-30 ml (1-2 tbsp) Canadian butter
- 4 (or 8) slices of Canadian Cheddar cheese
- ½ white onion, minced
- 250 ml (1 cup) shredded lettuce
- 8 sesame buns (4 tops and 8 bottoms)
- 12-16 dill pickle slices
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a small bowl, mix together all American Burger sauce ingredients. Refrigerate till you’re ready to assemble the American Burger. You can also make the night before.
In a medium size skillet, salt and pepper the patties, fry the burgers in butter until done.
Chop up onion and lettuce. Set aside.
Assemble American Burger in this order: bottom bun, American Burger sauce, minced onion, shredded lettuce, Canadian Cheddar cheese slice, burger patty, middle bun, minced onion, shredded lettuce, pickles, burger patty, top bun. Enjoy!
For more inspiration by Bailey Campbell, visit her Instagram profile @basicwithbails