This recipe is taken from the 2016 Milk Calendar. It’s cocoon time. Time to pull up your favourite blanket, tune in to your favourite show and indulge in this pasta with a tasty new twist.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1 lb (450 g) orecchiette
- 1 cauliflower cut into bite-size florets
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) cayenne pepper or to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) drained capers
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped parsley
- Grated Canadian Parmesan for serving
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 5 min. Add cauliflower to pasta. Continue to cook pasta and cauliflower 7 to 8 more min or until pasta is al dente and cauliflower is very tender.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour, salt and cayenne; whisking about 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Whisk 3 to 5 min or until smooth and thickened.
Drain pasta and cauliflower and return to pot. Pour in sauce; stir about 2 min over medium heat to coat pasta. Stir in Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, capers and parsley. Serve with Parmesan.
This dish tastes best when cauliflower is very tender. It’s an ideal recipe to introduce your kids to cauliflower.
Add leftover grilled chicken. Substitute small shell-shaped pasta for orecchiette.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||23 % / 255 mg|