This is the Kyle Panton’s chowder recipe.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- 4 slices of bacon diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 small carrot diced
- 6 baby red potatoes diced
- 1 ear of corn shucked, grilled and kernels sliced off
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) whipping cream
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk
- 4 oz (120 g) fresh salmon diced
- 4 oz (120 g) fresh halibut diced
- 4 oz (120 g) scallops
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chives chopped
- 18 steamed mussels shucked
- 18 steamed clams shucked
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 oz (180 g) Glasgow Glen Farm Mild Gouda shaved or grated
- Tea biscuits (optional)
- Steamed shellfish recipe
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) overripe tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green onions coarsely chopped
- 8 basil leaves
- 2 tsp (10 mL) whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sea salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili powder
- 2 whole lemons halved
- Clams and/or mussels rinsed
In a skillet, cook bacon on low to medium heat until browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, potatoes and corn; cook until soft.
Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is light golden brown.
Add bacon and stir in whipping cream and milk; let thicken.
Add fish, scallops and chives. Cook over low heat for about 10 min, or until fish and scallops are cooked through.
Add mussels and clams; season with salt and pepper.
Serve topped with cheese and a tea biscuit, if desired.
Steamed shellfish recipe
Place all the ingredients except shellfish in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add clams, cover and cook for 3–4 min.
Add mussels, cover and cook for 4–5 more min, or until shells open.
Use shellfish immediately or refrigerate once cooled.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||1 % / 12 mg|
|Vitamin E:||22 %|
|Vitamin C:||11 %|