Lazy Lasagna in a Bowl
Hearty classic flavours of a lasagna dish fill this soup to create a delicious comfort food recipe. Thick and chunky, once this hot soup is poured over top of the cheese, each spoonful will remind you of the gooey texture and flavour of your mom’s lasagna.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 1 lb (450 g) mild or hot Italian sausages or bulk sausage meat
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini (about 12 oz/375 g total) chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10 % half-and-half cream
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) baby shell pasta
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Canadian Mozzarella or Canadian Provolone cheese shredded
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Remove sausage meat from casings and crumble into large deep pot. Place pot over medium-high heat and cook breaking up meat with a spoon for about 5 min or until no longer pink. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat into a bowl; discarding any fat left in the pot.
Return pot to medium-high heat and add butter, mushrooms, zucchini and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring for about 8 min or until no liquid remains from mushroom mixture. Return meat with any accumulated juices to pot and add tomatoes.
Whisk flour into cream and add to pot along with the water and pasta. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 10 min or until pasta is tender but firm. Add salt to taste.
Divide cheese among soup bowls and ladle soup over top to melt it.
Stirring the soup occasionally while cooking helps create a creamy texture to the soup.
To add a smokey flavour, look for Canadian smoked Mozzarella or Provolone cheese.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||13 % / 141 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||30 %|
|Vitamin C:||27 %|