This recipe is taken from the 2000 Milk Calendar. This recipe has my favourite flavours of lemon, ginger and garlic. This colourful stir-fry is best served over hot rice.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 chopped white onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby carrots halved or 2 carrots diagonally sliced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped gingerroot or 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground ginger
- of dried red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- Grated rind of large lemon
- 1 red bell pepper cut in strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut in strips
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 3 green onions diagonally sliced
Cut chicken into thin strips. In large wok or nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry onion and carrots until onion is tender. Add garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and chicken; stir-fry until chicken is browned on all sides.
Whisk flour into cold milk until well mixed; stir into chicken mixture. Add lemon rind and green and red peppers; stir until bubbling and thickened slightly. Stir in soy sauce and lemon juice. Sprinkle with green onions.
For the Adventurous: Just before serving, add 1/3 cup (80 mL) coarsely chopped fresh coriander or basil.
Healthy Eating Tip: Carrots are an excellent source of Vitamin A which is essential for proper vision, a healthy immune system and healthy skin. Milk is also a good source or Vitamin A.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 104 mg|
|Vitamin A:||44 %|
|Vitamin B6:||29 %|
|Vitamin C:||92 %|