This recipe is taken from the 1988 Milk Calendar. This is the Maple Glazed Ham with Mustard Sauce recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 4 cooked ham steaks (approx. 6 oz/ 175 g each)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Russian style mustard or 1 tbsp (15 mL) each of Dijon mustard and honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
Line baking sheet with foil arrange ham steaks on a rack set over baking sheet. Preheat broiler. Combine maple syrup and mustard. Brush over ham steaks. Broil approximately 5 to 10 min until glazed, turning once and basting.
Meanwhile melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour. Cook 2 to 3 min stirring, but not browning. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer gently 5 minutes. Add Tabasco, tomato paste, Worcestershire, mustard, salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes.
Top glazed ham steaks with sauce. Dust lightly with paprika.
Microwave Method: While ham steaks are broiling, melt butter in a 12-cup (3 L) glass casserole on High (100 %) for 30 seconds. Whisk in flour. Cook 40 seconds on High. Stir in milk. Cook on High for 4 to 6 min until sauce is thickened and smooth, stirring every 2 minutes. Add seasonings. Spoon over ham and dust lightly with paprika.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||17 % / 185 mg|
|Vitamin C:||95 %|
|Vitamin B12:||80 %|