Capture the bounty of fresh produce at the market in this one-pot meal. The garnish of chopped tomatoes and herbs adds a nice, fresh burst of flavour and colour.
- Prep: 10 min - 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min - 35 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 4 oz (125 g) mushrooms cut in half
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried rosemary crushed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into chunks
- 4 small red-skinned potatoes cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) chunks
- 1 cup (250 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) divided milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped green or yellow beans
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 plum tomato chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley, basil and/or oregano
In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté mushrooms, rosemary, salt and pepper for about 5 min or until browned. Add garlic and chicken and sauté for 3 min or until chicken is white all over and starts to brown.
Stir in potatoes and broth; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and boil gently for 10 to 15 min or until potatoes are almost tender.
Meanwhile, heat 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) of the milk in a glass measuring cup in the microwave at Medium (50%) power, or in a saucepan over medium heat, for about 3 min or until steaming. Whisk flour into remaining cold milk.
Gradually pour flour mixture into pot, stirring. Increase heat to medium. Stir in hot milk, beans and mustard; simmer, uncovered and stirring often, for about 8 min or until chicken is no longer pink inside, beans are tender-crisp and stew is thickened. Ladle into bowls and top with tomatoes and fresh parsley, basil and/or oregano.
When cooking the potatoes and chicken in step 2, adjust the heat as necessary to keep the liquid at a gentle boil. Boiling hard can cause the chicken to become tough.
Heating the milk before adding it to the pot of stew speeds up the cooking time. Be sure to heat just until steaming and don’t let it boil.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||18 % / 202 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||80 %|
|Vitamin C:||74 %|