This recipe is taken from the 2015 Milk Calendar. The cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne make it Mayan. The milk, butter and cocoa simply make it delicious.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) corn syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Cake: Butter a 10-cup (2.5 L) Bundt pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients, whisking until smooth (the batter is liquidy).
Scrape into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 min or until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 20 min. Invert cake onto a rack set over a baking sheet to cool completely.
Whisk together cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Whisk in milk and corn syrup. Whisking continuously, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, whisking occasionally, for 30 sec until thickened. Whisk in vanilla.
Pour over top of cake, letting excess drip down sides. Let cool.
For a higher cake, try using a smaller or different shaped Bundt pan and adjust baking time accordingly.
For a celebration cake, after you’ve iced the cake, top with chocolate curls.
If you feel like a traditional chocolate cake, simply eliminate the spices.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 70 mg|