Serve this flavourful dish with crusty whole grain bread or over cooked orzo or rice to soak up the yummy sauce laced with creamy Canadian Feta. Simple enough for a weeknight yet suitable for company.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 4 h - 8 h
- 12 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 garlic cloves slivered
- 2 red, yellow or orange bell peppers (or a combination) cut into strips
- 1 onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled Canadian Feta cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a 26-cup (6.5 l) slow cooker, arrange chicken thighs in the bottom. Top with garlic, bell peppers and onion. Drain 1/2 cup (125 ml) of juice from the tomatoes and reserve for another use. Stir flour, balsamic vinegar and Italian seasoning into tomatoes and pour over the chicken and vegetables. (Make ahead: cover with lid and refrigerate overnight.)
Cover with lid and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hrs or on High for 4 to 6 hrs.
Turn off slow cooker. Stir in peas and top with Canadian Feta cheese. Cover with lid and let stand for 5 min or until cheese is softened and peas are heated. Sprinkle with parsley (if using).
Cooking Tips: If serving only four for dinner, divide leftovers into microwave- safe containers and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat for a satisfying packed lunch.
If skinless, bone-in chicken thighs are not available, purchase bone-in and remove and discard the skin.
For the Adventurous: Stir in 1 can (14 oz/796 mL) water packed artichoke hearts, drained and quartered and 1/4 cup (60 ml) whole pitted Kalamata olives with the peas.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||14 % / 150 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||37 %|
|Vitamin C:||88 %|