A filling of tangy Canadian Feta cheese adds a burst of flavour to the humble burger, while fresh creamy yogurt tzatziki balances the saltiness of feta, olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Prep: 20 min - 25 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- Refrigeration: 1 min
- Radish and Cucumber Tzatziki
- 1 cup (250 mL) yogurt cheese (see cooking tip)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded English cucumber well drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded radish
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Mediterranean Style Burgers
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled Canadian Feta cheese
- 4 small whole wheat pitas or thin style hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped tomatoes
- 4 lettuce leaves
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Radish and Cucumber Tzatziki
In small bowl, combine yogurt cheese, cucumber, radish, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic; refrigerate (can be prepared up to two days ahead.)
Mediterranean Style Burgers
In large bowl, gently combine beef, bread crumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and egg. Shape 1/2 of the beef mixture into four square-shaped patties; make an indentation in the centre of each square; fill each indentation with approximately 2 tbsp (30 mL) crumbled Canadian Feta cheese. Make 4 squares with remaining beef mixture; press one square on top of each Feta filled patty; press to seal in the Feta cheese filling.
Preheat barbecue to medium-high. Place burgers on greased grill; close lid and grill, turning once, for about 5 to 6 min per side or until digital thermometer inserted sideways into centre reads 160 ° F (70 °C).
Place patties into pita bread pockets; top with Radish and Cucumber Tzatziki, chopped tomato and lettuce.
For yogurt cheese: Spoon 2 cups (500 mL) 3 % plain yogurt into a paper towel ' or fine cheesecloth-lined sieve and set over a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hr (the longer it stands, the thicker it becomes.) Discard the liquid (whey) left in the bowl.
Use additional Radish and Cucumber Tzatziki as a dip or as a spread for sandwiches
Add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano to Feta cheese before stuffing burgers.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||25 % / 276 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||114 %|