A filling of tangy Canadian Feta cheese adds a burst of flavour to the humble burger, while fresh creamy yogurt tzatziki balances the saltiness of feta, olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Prep: 20 min - 25 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- Refrigeration: 1 min
- Radish and Cucumber Tzatziki
- 1 cup (250 mL) yogurt cheese (see cooking tip)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded English cucumber well drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded radish
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Mediterranean Style Burgers
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled Canadian Feta cheese
- 4 small whole wheat pitas or thin style hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped tomatoes
- 4 lettuce leaves
Radish and Cucumber Tzatziki
In small bowl, combine yogurt cheese, cucumber, radish, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic; refrigerate (can be prepared up to two days ahead.)
Mediterranean Style Burgers
In large bowl, gently combine beef, bread crumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and egg. Shape 1/2 of the beef mixture into four square-shaped patties; make an indentation in the centre of each square; fill each indentation with approximately 2 tbsp (30 mL) crumbled Canadian Feta cheese. Make 4 squares with remaining beef mixture; press one square on top of each Feta filled patty; press to seal in the Feta cheese filling.
Preheat barbecue to medium-high. Place burgers on greased grill; close lid and grill, turning once, for about 5 to 6 min per side or until digital thermometer inserted sideways into centre reads 160 ° F (70 °C).
Place patties into pita bread pockets; top with Radish and Cucumber Tzatziki, chopped tomato and lettuce.
For yogurt cheese: Spoon 2 cups (500 mL) 3 % plain yogurt into a paper towel ' or fine cheesecloth-lined sieve and set over a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hr (the longer it stands, the thicker it becomes.) Discard the liquid (whey) left in the bowl.
Use additional Radish and Cucumber Tzatziki as a dip or as a spread for sandwiches
Add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano to Feta cheese before stuffing burgers.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||25 % / 276 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||114 %|