This recipe is taken from the 2010 Milk Calendar. The classic muffin flavour combination gets reinvented here with a nutrition boost in an easy-to-make bar.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) bran cereal (All-Bran or 100 % Bran)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded carrot (about 3)
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) drained canned crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt (not fat-free)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) liquid honey
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Line a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) metal baking pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch (5 cm) overhang at each end. Lightly butter foil.
In a bowl, combine bran cereal, carrot, milk, pineapple and yogourt; let stand for 5 min. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Whisk egg and honey into milk mixture. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
Spread into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake for about 30 min or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Using foil overhang as handles, remove from pan and cut into bars.
Bars can be wrapped individually in plastic wrap then frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature or in the microwave on Defrost (30 %) for about 1 min per bar.
For the Adventurous: Sprinkle the top of the batter with 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded sweetened coconut, chopped nuts, green pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds before baking.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 102 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||80 %|
|Vitamin B6:||56 %|