This is the Mozzarella Skillet Spaghetti (Cooking Club Size) recipe.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- 2 lbs (1 Kg) lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups (1 L) sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped onion
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cans (28 oz/796 mL each) diced tomatoes and juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) broken spaghetti
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh basil (optional)
In a large wide deep skillet brown beef over medium-high heat, breaking up beef with a spoon; drain off any fat. Add garlic, mushrooms, onion, green pepper, Italian seasoning and salt. Cook stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
Stir in diced tomatoes, water and broken spaghetti; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in balsamic vinegar, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Serve sprinkled with fresh basil (if using). Serve with crusty whole wheat bread and a green salad.
Colby Macaroni Skillet: Substitute 1 1/2 lb (750 g) uncooked elbow macaroni for broken spaghetti. Omit dried Italian seasoning; substitute 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce. Substitute 2 cups (500 mL) Canadian Colby cheese for Mozzarella cheese.
Cooking club Tip:Here is a great recipe to try with your cooking club. It's a one-pot meal that covers all four food groups, and the kids will love the creamy Mozzarella taste. It yields 12 servings so everyone can take some home.
Keep it covered in the fridge for up to 2 days or freeze serving size containers for up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and reheat in microwave or gently on stove top.