These are hearty, comforting flavours that meld into a sauce with pleasantly surprising complexity, given its few ingredients. Serve with the same beer you use in the recipe for a perfect pairing experience.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 5 min - 10 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 French shallots chopped
- 1 bottle (341 mL) amber ale
- 2 1/4 lbs (1 Kg) mussels scrubbed clean
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Canadian Sharp Cheddar shredded
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
In a large saucepan, melt butter at medium-high heat and sauté shallots. Deglaze with beer and reduce by half.
Add mussels, cover and let cook about 5 min, until mussels are all open (discard any that don’t open). Remove mussels from saucepan and reserve in a serving dish.
Add shredded Cheddar and cornstarch to saucepan while stirring. When thickened, add fresh parsley and pepper. Pour sauce over mussels and serve immediately.
Canadian Cheese alternatives: Swiss cheese, Provolone, Gouda.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||28 % / 308 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||1006 %|