Chef Ned Bell from British Columbia created the Ned “Bell Pepper” Sweet & Spicy sandwich with local BC cheeses, namely Pacific Pepper Spicy Verdelait and Red Hot Pepper Cheddar. It is served with a wonderful homemade jam, which adds a nice sweetness to the sandwich.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 45 min
- jam (recipe follows)
- 2 (1 cm) 1/2 inch thick slices of artisan country loaf bread (such as calabrese, rustic italian, ciabatta)
- 2 oz (60 g) Red Hot Pepper Cheddar or Canadian flavoured Gouda cut into thin slices
- 2 oz (60 g) Pacific Pepper Spicy Verdelait or Canadian Red Hot Pepper Monterey Jack cut into thin slices
- 2 (0.5 cm) 1/4 inch thick slices of beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter softened
Prepare jam before making sandwich.
Butter one side of each bread slice and place buttered side down on work surface.Layer the Cheddar followed by the Pacific Pepper Spicy Verdelait and tomato slices on one bread slice. Top with remaining slice of bread (buttered side out).
Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Cook sandwich, turning once, for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy. Serve immediately with the jam on the side.
In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup (250 ml) diced sweet red bell pepper, 1 cup (250 ml) diced sweet yellow bell pepper, 1 cup (250 ml) grape tomatoes, ½ cup (125 ml) liquid honey, ¼ cup (60 ml) white wine vinegar and ½ tsp (2 ml) kosher salt.Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until tomatoes are very soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.Cover and refrigerate to cool.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||81 % / 892 mg|
|Vitamin C:||223 %|
|Vitamin A:||54 %|