This hearty oatmeal-based recipe is loaded with chocolate chips and is sure to be a hit with the kids – at lunch, after school, or any time of day! This recipe is taken from the 1997 Milk Calendar.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 12 min
- 3 cups (750 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) butter softened
- 2 cups (500 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) Chipits semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (250 mL) Chipits Skor toffee bits or Chipits Reese peanut butter chips or Chipits butterscotch chips
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped unblanched almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flaked coconut- optional
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
Set aside 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of the rolled oats. Soak remaining oats in milk for 5 min.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and egg until light and fluffy. Add oat mixture, the reserved oats and remaining ingredients. Stir until well blended.
Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto buttered cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 min or until golden brown. Allow to cool on a rack for a few minutes before removing cookies.