Open-faced Creamy Avocado Turkey MeltOur dietitians' favourite
This open-faced sandwich is a twist on a classic. Mashed avocado coupled with tangy yogurt adds extra flavour to this easy-to-make lunch. When you’re in the mood for a comforting and tasty sandwich, reach for this creamy avocado turkey melt.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked diced turkey breast
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) mashed avocado
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) prepared mustard
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 whole-wheat pitas (about 8 inches/20 cm in diameter) cut in half
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- (optional) more sliced green onion
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large bowl, stir together turkey, avocado, yogurt, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, mustard, cayenne pepper, green onions, and Parmesan cheese.
Place pita halves on a parchment lined baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and place 1/4 of the turkey mixture on top of each half of the flatbread pita. Sprinkle with shredded Mozzarella cheese, and bake for another 5 minutes.
Turkey breast can easily be replaced with chicken breast.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||19 % / 214 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||50 %|
|Vitamin B6:||41 %|