This recipe is taken from the 1995 Milk Calendar. This is the Pasta and Feta Cheese Casserole recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 1/2 lb (225 g) penne or shell shaped pasta
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/2 lb (225 g) Canadian feta cheese drained and cubed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced pitted black olives drained (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh dill or fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente; drain.
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion, garlic and green bell pepper. Cook 3 to 4 min. Stir in flour. Cook 3 min. Add milk, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 5 min, stirring often.
Combine pasta with sauce. Add Feta cheese, 1/4 cup (60 mL) Parmesan, olives, fresh dill and oregano. Transfer mixture to a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
Bake in a pre-heated 350 °F (180 °C) oven for 25 to 30 min.