This dish is best if your cooking club makes the sauce but saves the cooking of the pasta until just before serving. Serve with mixed green salad.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 8 oz (250 g) Herb and Garlic Canadian Cream Cheese Spread
- 2 cups (500 mL) 10 % cream
- 11 1/2 oz (350 mL) smoked salmon minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) small capers rinsed
- pepper to taste
- 2 lb (900 g) penne
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add butter and when melted, stir in onion and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir lemon juice into pan. Add cream cheese and cook, stirring constantly to soften and melt cheese. Stir in cream until smooth and bring to a simmer. Add smoked salmon and lemon zest and just heat through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley, capers and pepper.
Cook pasta according to directions on the package until al dente. Drain well, toss with warm sauce. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Cooking Club Tip:
Divide sauce into portions. Divide dry pasta into portions. Divide and pack grated Parmesan cheese separately. Label with recipe name, date and cooking instructions. Cook pasta just before serving. Heat sauce in the microwave, toss and serve with Parmesan cheese.