This recipe is taken from the 1985 Milk Calendar. This is the Peppery Beef Stroganoff recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min - 40 min
- 1 1/2 lbs (675 g) sirloin steak (1-in /2 1/2 cm thick)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb (450 g) mushrooms sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brandy or beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) hot Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 2 dill pickles in julienne
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- A dash of Tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb (450 g) fettucine
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Slice steak into thin strips. Pat meat dry and dust with pepper. Heat half the oil in a large skillet; cook half the meat until nicely browned. Reserve. Repeat with remaining meat. Discard excess oil.
Return pan to heat; melt half the butter. Add onions and garlic; cook until tender. Add mushrooms and brandy; cook until mushrooms are tender and any liquid in the pan has evaporated. Add to reserved meat.
Return pan to heat; add remaining butter. Stir in flour; cook 5 min without browning. Whisk in milk, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and bring to a boil. Cook 5 min. Add pickles, sour cream and meat. Heat gently. Season to taste.
Cook fettucine according to instructions on package until al dente. Toss with butter; season to taste. Serve with beef; sprinkle with parsley.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||17 % / 184 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||89 %|