This recipe is taken from the 1996 Milk Calendar. This is the Pork Chop with Green Bell Pepper and Tomato Sauce recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 6 pork chops
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onions
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped green bell pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried tarragon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rosemary
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the pork chops and cook for 5 min on each side. Remove the pork chops and reserve on plate.
Add the onions, tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms and green bell pepper to skillet. Cook stirring constantly for 7 to 8 min or until vegetables are soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return pork chops to skillet and toss to coat with vegetables.
For the sauce, in a saucepan melt the butter over high heat and add the flour,stirring until a paste is formed. Add a little milk, stirring it into the paste. Keep adding the milk a little bit at a time until the paste is incorporated into the milk. Add the herbs, salt and pepper. Bring the milk mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. Pour the sauce over the pork chops and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.