This recipe is taken from the 2014 Milk Calendar. Pumpkin isn’t just for holidays and pie any more. This moist snacking cake is a fabulous colour, tender and moist and delicately spiced, making it a nice after school treat, a great bake sale item, or a weeknight dessert.
- Prep: 10 min - 15 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted pumpkin seeds chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned pumpkin purée
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) plain yogurt (not fat-free)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Line a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) metal cake pan with parchment paper or foil; butter foil, if using.
In a bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, pumpkin seeds (if using), cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and eggs until well blended; beat in pumpkin, yogurt and vanilla extract. Using a spoon, stir in dry ingredients alternating with milk, making 3 additions of dry and 2 of milk, just until incorporated.
Spread into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake 35 to 40 min or until tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a rack for 30 min. Invert onto a cutting board, peel off paper, then invert back onto rack to cool completely.
Buy canned pumpkin purée to have on hand to make this cake any time. Extra pumpkin can be transferred to airtight containers and frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw completely and whisk to blend in any separated liquid before using.
Sprinkle the top of the batter with 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarse Demerara or raw sugar before baking or spread cooled cake with a cream cheese icing or top with whipped cream mixed with yogurt.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||8 % / 92 mg|
|Vitamin A:||19 %|