This recipe is taken from the 2000 Milk Calendar. Inspired by the flavours of the Italian countryside, this Tetrazzini type of pasta dish works well with either chicken or turkey. Also great for serving a crowd- simply double the recipe.
- Prep: 5 min - 10 min
- Cooking: 15 min - 20 min
- 8 oz (240 g) fettuccine or spaghetti
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced celery
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chicken or turkey strips cooked
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In large pot of boiling water, cook fettuccine according to package directions until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic, stirring often, for about 8 min or until tender.
Whisk flour into cold milk until well mixed; stir into mushroom mixture and cook, stirring, until hot. Add chicken, Canadian Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, and hot pasta; simmer, stirring gently, for 3 to 5 min or until sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
For the Adventurous: Add thawed cooked shrimp instead of chicken or fresh coriander instead of basil. Instead of celery, use any frozen vegetable (thawed) of fresh sweet red pepper cubes.
Healthy Eating Tip: One serving of this dish provides a serving from each of the four food groups in Canada's Food Guide with extra servings from the vegetable and grains groups.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||31 % / 344 mg|