This recipe is taken from the 2001 Milk Calendar. Make a meal of this satisfying soup. Serve it along with a crunchy salad and garlic toast.
- Prep: 5 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried Italian herb seasoning*
- 8 oz (250 g) cheese tortellini
- 1 can (9 1/2 oz / 284 mL) chicken broth (undiluted)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 3 green onions sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped f resh parsley
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) freshly grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
In large saucepan, bring water, garlic and herb seasoning to boil; stir in tortellini to prevent sticking. Return to boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 min. Add broth, frozen vegetables, mushrooms and onions; simmer for about 5 min or until tortellini is tender.
Whisk flour into milk until smooth, then whisk milk into soup. Simmer until slightly thickened. Stir in parsley and season with pepper. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
*In place of dried Italian herb seasoning, you can use 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each dried basil, oregano and rosemary.
For the Adventurous: Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh basil, dill or coriander along with the parsley.
Healthy Eating Tip: Frozen facts- Maximize your vitamin A and folate intake with a colourful medley of frozen carrots, beans, peas and corn. Frozen vegetables are generally just as nutritious as fresh produce.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||34 % / 375 mg|
|Vitamin A:||37 %|