When you feel like having a slice of apple pie with Canadian Cheddar cheese, try this quick and easy “baked” apple instead.
- Prep: 5 min - 10 min
- Cooking: 5 min - 10 min
- 4 baking apples such as Empire, Cortland or Granny Smith
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground ginger or cinnamon
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) shredded Canadian old Cheddar cheese (about 1 cup/250 mL)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dried cranberries
Core apples and cut in half lengthwise. Place cut side up in a microwave-safe baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar and ginger.
Microwave on Medium-High (70%) power for 5 to 7 min or until almost tender. Sprinkle with Canadian old Cheddar cheese and microwave for 30 to 60 sec or until cheese is melted.
Serve sprinkled with pecans and cranberries.
To bake in a toaster oven or regular oven instead of the microwave, preheat toaster oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake apples for about 30 min or until tender. Sprinkle with Canadian Cheddar cheese and bake for 2 to 3 min longer or until melted.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||18 % / 198 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||10 %|
|Vitamin C:||14 %|